Friday, April 11, 2008

State cracks down on us smokers

Well lookie here:

Proponents argued that the increase would fill state coffers and discourage residents from smoking, while critics said the state would lose money from smokers, who would travel to New Hampshire and Rhode Island to buy cheaper cigarettes.

I already buy my cigarettes in New Hampshire. And while I'm at the Market Basket in Seabrook, I buy my groceries there as well.

Relax, I still get 98% of my produce at Tendercrop. And while I hardly ever patronize Starbuck's anymore, I still can't stop myself from driving through Dunkin' Donuts all the time to pick up my latte ... but of course when I'm actually in downtown I buy from one of the locally-owned coffee shops.

And then I have a cigarette.

3 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

Since you brought this issue up, let me ask you how you feel about the crackdown?

Listening to WBZ radio tonight, Dan Rea had a caller who smokes 1 1/2 packs a day, and has kept that rhythm for 20 years. The guy's 42 now. Dan did some quick math and figured the caller spent about $10,000 on cigs in 20 years. Can you say wake up call to quit?

Gillian Swart said...

Good question, Ari - unfortunately, I don't have an easy answer. On one hand, the state needs to make $$. On the other hand, it has decided to tax something that has become socially unacceptable (and therefore less ensuing furor) in order to raise $$. I feel that the next step will be something along the lines of a state "fat" tax.

I don't drink alcohol, at least not much. So the caller spent $10,000 on cigs in 20 years (my dad, by the way, uses that argument on me all the time); I know people who have spent that much, and more, on booze in 20years. Or illegal drugs.

(Heck, I know people who forked over more than that to the "Re-elect President Bush" campaign and who are real sorry now!)

I don't like it; I think it's a filthy habit. I don't like my own or other people's cigarette smoke blowing in my face, I don't like smelling it on my clothes, in my hair, or in the house.

But the state isn't doing this to get people to quit smoking. I'm not going to quit because it costs more - and government officials know that. While some people will stop, most will not. If they really meant for people to quit, they wouldn't consider it to be added revenue in state coffers, would they? Or be concerned smokers will take their money to RI or NH to buy cheaper cigs there ... They are counting on people carrying on puffing away.

Isn't it sad that government, in part, runs off people's addictions and weaknesses?

I'll just be more broke. If I didn't buy my cigarettes in NH, that is.

But I get the main point of your comment; I know I should quit.

Anonymous said...

EVERYBODY WANTS KUNG-FU FIGHTING