Sunday, April 6, 2008

Fenway visitor ruffles feathers

Sounds more ominous than it was:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/gallery/040308_hawkattack?pg=11

When I worked in Boston, just before moving up here 3 years ago, I was surprised to see hawks all over the place. One used to regularly land on the fire escape outside the window of our office at Copley Square. We really appreciated it once bringing its lunch along so we could witness the flying feathers and other delightful sights that ensued.

I believe the city a few years ago brought in a pair of hawks to control the pigeon population and it went from there.

It seems as if there are a lot more hawks here on Plum Island this year than usual. Every time I'm on the PI Turnpike I see one hovering over the marsh (at that pink house across from Bob Lobster and all the way down to Old Point Road). Perhaps it's the same one that used to hang out around my yard last summer, near the bird feeder - and it's just out and about more this year.

By the way, I was similarly "attacked" a few years ago by a seagull, at Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester. It wanted the sandwich I was holding in my hand.

No comments: