Friday, April 25, 2008

Welcome back, Mary

I echo Tom Salemi's welcome back to the original Newburyport blogger who is still posting, Mary Baker Eaton. I've missed Mary's daily posts in the last couple of months.

She writes about a senior center, the subject of a great debate in our city.

I, too, think she has put forth a great idea, as has Tom. Let's find a place right now, a space that already exists, to get our senior citizens and services provided to them in one building. I like the idea of a space near the river. I see a lot of elderly people and couples taking a stroll on the boardwalk, or sitting in their car facing the water.

I know how much the senior center in Gloucester means to my elderly mother. She regularly reports on the weekly Scrabble game. With my father not living in the house any longer, it is her only social outlet with people of her own age.

The senior center in Gloucester is centrally located, adjacent to a shopping plaza and restaurants, and within easy walking distance of Gloucester Harbor.

Of course, I have also visited the senior center in Salisbury, which is not centrally located (but almost so; Salisbury not having a "downtown" per se). It's not a large building but is well used.

It's time we got over all the bickering and get down to work on this. I don't really much care where it is, just get one in here soon. Not everyone is going to be pleased with the final location anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gillian,
Why dosen't the city use the second floor of City Hall for a senior center. They have to heat and maintain it and it is used rarely. Seems like a great location because of the parking and access to the waterfront. I can not think of a more underutilized space in town.

Just a thought

Gillian Swart said...

Anon,

I think there's an issue with second floor locations due to Meals on Wheels delivery. An elevator upgrade, however, might solve that problem. Certainly cheaper than constructing a whole new building and upsetting a whole lot of people. Good thought; thanks.