Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The beat goes on and on and on

I could be at a loss to explain why it seemed nobody gave a shit about Plum Island until now. They took away the fire service, they took away the bus service, nobody stood up and said, "Hey, no fair!" when the state first made residents install costly new septic systems and then a few years later said those weren't good enough - no, everyone had to have municipal water and sewer.

Well now the beach is at stake. Last year, when all the water/sewer mess was coming to a close and homeowners had been assessed their $17,400 betterments, one of my neighbors said to me, "Nobody cares about Plum Island unless it's about the beach," or words to that effect. The proof is in the pudding.

More recently, someone in city government said to me, "Hey, nobody cares about Plum Island." He meant the general public, I believe, not himself.

This morning I read even more opinions and conclusions about beach erosion, sparked by a comment in the comments on a story in the Daily News. There are more differing opinions on the Internet than in the comments sections of the stories in the Daily News.

But what seemed clear was what I wrote before - dredged channels, jetties and 'groins' are a primary causes of beach erosion. And building houses on/in the dunes doesn't help preserve dunes.

What surprised me - not sure why - is that nearly everyone agrees that the Army Corps of Engineers had a big hand in what is happening on beaches.

Unfortunately, engineering principles similar to the Corps' old river control policies are still alive and well on the coastline. Coastal engineers (and regulators) consequently strive to increase rates of longshore flow along the coast (since longshore flow is the only source of sand for other beaches, according to engineering theory, it presumably follows that maintaining high rates of longshore flow is beneficial). This policy, however, causes nearshore energy to increase, which translates into higher rates of coastal erosion and general environmental degradation.

Warren Brooks, the journalist who broke the acid rain story, writes that "one of the anomalies of the environmental age is that the Corps of Engineers has become the alleged protector of wetlands when it has traditionally been one of their biggest enemies, especially tidal wetlands threatened by beach erosion...the main reason we are losing beach shoreline at such an alarming rate is not sea level rise, but the destruction of natural beach protection systems by the Corps and its multi-billion-dollar dredge lobby."

Stuart Udall, former Secretary of the Interior, writes that the Army Corps "resembles a brachiosuarus, a giant water-loving dinosaur with less brains per pound of flesh than any other vertebrate. The Corps has survived form the Jurassic Age of Engineering when dams and dredged-out channels were deemed man's greatest gifts to nature." (Source: www.erosion.com/dredging)


You can see for yourself, if you can get to the Newbury town beach with that massive pile of sand there at the center parking lot. The beach to the south of the center groin is okay, for now, while the beach immediately to the north is the one in peril.

The Basin, the water between the ocean side of the island the river side (which is where I live) is so choked with sand that soon we'll be able to walk over there. A boon to property values over here, I would imagine. A 10-minute walk instead of a 10+-minute drive to the town beach or Newburyport beach; finding a place to park, paying to park ...


And so the debate continues.

3 comments:

Tom Salemi said...

Hi Gillian,

Would you prefer that we didn't care?

I can't speak to the bus or fire, but Title V didn't just hit the island. Hell, I had to install a septic system that was the size of an aircraft carrier at my previous house near Worcester.

Welcome to Massachusetts.

And yes, I would have had to hook up to water and sewer if it had been offered. In fact, I was dying to do so but no one would run services to my house.

So no one is targeting the island.

Personally I don't give a hoot about the beach, but I have managed to muster some concern for those folks who have homes and buildings about to fall onto the beach.

If you could find a way to move those back a couple of hundred feet it'd be fine by me. Then I could go back to blissfully not caring.

Happy blogging,

Tom

Gillian Swart said...

Tom,

No, I would not prefer that no one care. I'm just saying that some people think no one does, until disaster is imminent. This situation has been building for years; why wait until now to start lobbying?

And why has there been nothing in all this recent hype in the Daily News about the jetties and the groins that were installed by the federal government being possible factors for the erosion?

If dredging is truly a damaging thing, why do we want it? These issues should have been brought to light in the press, as well as potential alternate solutions offered by professionals. I see that there are some alternatives.

If I read that website I cited correctly, there may be a legal remedy for homeowners if they lose their houses - as in suing the Army Corps of Engineers. It's small consolation, but it could be something.

Again, should be brought to light in the press.

As I have already said, I think it's horrendous that people could lose their homes. I don't necessarily blame the homeowners, even the ones who threatened to sue Newbury if they were forced to live within the rules (if comments on DN website are to be believed).

Anyway - whew! I think my intended point was that some people are bitter, some people don't care about it, and the DEP could have been a little more... something. Just look at the disaster landfill and the non-accesible waterfront west.

Thanks, Tom! Sorry about the booths at 10 Center.

Ari Herzog said...

How many people really complained about the loss of the MVRTA Bus #51 on Plum Island? My understanding is the ridership was so low, not to mention the availability of the Ring & Ride service, that it wasn't really an issue.

Do PI residents miss the daily bus out there?