Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's a purse, for Bleep's sake!

I loved reading this story, in the Boston Globe. And when I say "loved," I mean, "made me slightly nauseous."

Hermes, that emporium of high-priced-whatever-someone-is-willing-to-spend-way-too-much-on, it seems has been falsely inflating the price of a bag called a Birkin. At least according to the dude in the story.

To the "ordinary" Hermes shopper, apparently, obtaining a Birkin requires one to wait for 2 years. But according to the dude profiled in this piece, if you go into a Hermes and drop $1 million year (as he did), you can get one or, in his case, several of these rare ... purses.

This is, until Hermes found out that he was re-selling them on e-Bay. I actually liked that part; I wish I were that enterprising. But then, I don't have, and never will have, $1 million to drop at any store. Unless I win the lottery, of course. But then, I once went into the Hermes in Boston and got light-headed from the aroma of fresh money.

(I was there on a mission for my boss; how I ended up in a job that involved buying over-priced stuff for Kuwaiti royalty is another story.)

This particular bag, by the way, starts at $7500 and is mostly feverishly sought by young celebritiy types.

There was one heart-rending account in the piece, though. It seems a Boston woman whose mother lost all her possessions during Hurricane Katrina willingly handed her Birkin bag over to Mom to make her feel better. Awwww

HOLY MOLY - Hillary Clinton on the Colbert Report! She's not toting a Birkin, though ...



1 comment:

Michelle said...

I feel sorry for people who are so shallow they would coo over an overpriced bag rather than a baby.