Friday, April 18, 2008

Don't let me down, honey

And just when I thought that my vista was golden in hue,
One thousand umbrellas opened to spoil my view

That's how the men who are the subjects of their ex-wives' blogs must feel. Check it out in this piece in today's NY Times.

Women (and men, actually) are airing all the dirty laundry of their failed marriages online.

Until the morning her husband, David Sals, told her he “was done” with their marriage, Jennifer Neal had portrayed him so lovingly on her blog that he was called DearSweetDave. By the afternoon of that October day last year, Ms. Neal had shared what she portrayed as his perfidy with the 55,000 regular readers she says visit NakedJencom.

Gee, I can't think why people would be attracted to a site called NakedJencom.

Anyway ... well ... rather than waiting for the release of the Lifetime movie next year, maybe I should air my dirty laundry about my failed relationship with the Current right here. And all my other failed relationships, such as they are.

“The bloggers who are doing the best are those who are injecting their personal lives,” said Penelope Trunk, the author of the Brazen Careerist blog, who has written frequently in the past year about the collapse of her 15-year marriage.

But there may be a downside:

There will certainly be consequences down the line of all this sharing. “The long-term impact of the persistent information on line has not been fully felt,” Ms. Madden said.

Persistent information? Is that a bad thing?

For the moment, the courts appear to be on the side of the bloggers. First Amendment and all that stuff.

No comments: