Monday, April 21, 2008

Earth Day farmer's market

I toddled on over to the farmer's market, held at Bartlet Mall yesterday. I was there really early, like when it had just opened, but there were a lot of folks already there and many more heading in as I was heading out.

I had to chuckle when Pettengill Farms' huge central display, a large shallow pot full of plants, was purchased and hauled off within minutes of the open of the market, leaving a big gap on the table.

I got some plants for my window boxes at a good price (I'd been shopping around during the week) and came home happy to have filled the boxes for just $5.

On my way back to the car, which I had parked in the Green St. lot, I ran into Jeremy who owns Grand Trunk (the wonderful cheese shop and my favorite place) with his wife. He had also just returned from the market.

We agreed that it would be wonderful to have a regular farmer's market on the Mall. Clearly it would be a popular event for a Sat. and/or Sun. I believe last summer someone proposed such a thing but it was shot down.

And Newburyport Pedicab made a pre-season showing to run people laden with purchases back to their cars or homes. I hope it was as successful as it looked to be.

No comments: