Monday, April 14, 2008

My return to council chambers

Well, tonight I went to a City Council meeting for the first time since I resigned from The Current. I was there in support of the city's Earth Day celebration, although I did not get up and speak.

It would appear that this session of the council is truly interested in communication. Whereas previously the chairperson of the Joint Education sub-committee (a joint committee of the City Council and the School Committee) did not report back to the full Council, this year's chairman, Greg Earls, gave a full report on what was going on over there is the school dept.

Donna Holaday, in her report of Budget & Finance, also mentioned the school dept. and its capital improvement plan.

I started out as a freelancer for the Current, covering the School Committee. And I can tell you, the City Council never had much of a clue what was going on over on the school side of government. Not so much their fault as a definite lack of communication.

Also, the council approved an order for the mayor to proceed with negotiations for a lease on land at the old I-95 access road for a "wireless communication facility." I think that's fancy talk for a cell tower.

And next Tuesday, Earth Day, at 6:30 p.m. there will be a public hearing on the use of part of Cushing Park for a senior citizen's center. On Wednesday next at 5:30 p.m., there will be a hearing held by the water dept. about those high bills people received once someone actually read their water meters.

Finally, I thought it was really classy for council President James Shanley to step down from his elevated seat and take the floor to publicly recognize all the citizens who voluntarily serve on the city's numerous boards and commissions. These people give up a lot of time in service to the city and as Shanley noted, sometimes it ain't an easy job.

The Conservation Commission, I think in particular, has a really rough role. I tip my hat to all the board members and commission members and hope people will apply to be on ConCom and the Commission for Diversity and Tolerance.

No comments: