Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More musings on blogging

Speaking of blogging, I suspect that many people I know and communicate with often check on here frequently to see if I've put some offhand comment they may have made in my presence on here.


In fact, one of my neighbors used to preface everything he said to me with, "This isn't for you to put in the paper ..." and then proceed to tell me some innocuous story that had no relevance to anyone but himself, or myself on occasion.

But sometimes he would, because he's lived here a long time and knows everything that's going on, give me a lead that he would make clear was a lead. A couple of them turned into stories.

I tried when I was on the Current, and I still do try, not to put stuff that people say that's not relevant to what I'm writing about (and then I don't identify the person, as is a rule, I would guess, of blogging), is too personal (to them), or may cast them in a bad light. Unless it's a public official or anyone else speaking publicly.

Having said that, I can't resist sharing a couple of things I heard over last weekend at events revolving around the Literary Festival. (And if someone can tell me why the 'o' key on my laptop has suddenly become sticky, I'd really appreciate it!)


"Are you you, or are you your brother?"
Said to Chris Sidford, twin brother of local architect Andy Sidford. I don't know if the person meant, "Are you you (Andy), or are you (his) brother?" or if he meant, "Are you you (the brother), or are you your brother (Andy)?"

"You know, it was the (book) where the pirate was always trying to get into her cove."
Said to me, who almost did a spit-take across the table, at the dinner to open the literary festival, by a writer of my acquaintance. Oh how we laughed. I'm sure my 2 cosmos and her chocatini at Mission Oak Grille previous to dinner helped fuel our hilarity. She was trying to remember the name of Daphne du Maurier's novel, Jamaica Inn, which is about a young woman, a pirate and I gather, a cove.

No comments: