Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ten things I've done that you probably haven't

I'm caught up in all these ... er, memes? ... going around. So taking a clue from a Facebook friend (actually, he's both a blog and a Facebook friend), I'm 'fessing up to these 10 things (read about what may be the start of all this on author John Scalzi's blog, called Whatever):

1. I spent one night and two days on a replica of a tall ship (I've posted about that before).

2. I once drove from Michigan to Baltimore, MD, to see The Cars in concert (disclaimer: my sister Sarah has done this, since we did it together).

3. I was at game 5 of the World Series in 1984 when the Detroit Tigers finished off their incredible season with VICTORY (again, Sarah was there, too).

4. This isn't something I did (looking at the cat), but I once found a dead mouse down at the foot of my bed, between the top sheet and the blanket. I have no idea how many nights I slept with a dead mouse ...

5. I've lived in 3 different countries, counting the one I was born in but was taken out of when I was 3 months old.

6. I once went to rock concerts on three consecutive nights (again, Sarah ... what can I say? We used to live together!). I think this is another Cars-related entry.

7. I rang the church bell at The First Parish Church, Newbury (MA). It was way cool.

8. I have twice been in the building from which the bridge tenders raise the Gillis Bridge over the Merrimack River between Newburyport and Salisbury. It's tall and right over the middle of the river - and the view is terrific.

9. I was on an airplane one time and I was trying to open one of those packets of salad dressing they give you - and the salad dressing sprayed all over the woman sitting next to me.

10. I nearly emasculated Sen. John Kerry one day outside the State House in Boston. I was walking home, swinging my furled umbrella, and he was behind me. He grabbed it just before the point hit his crotch. At least I think it was Kerry ...

I used to believe I kissed the Pope's ring when my mother and I still lived in Barbados, but my mother recently told me it was just some bishop.

Now that I think about it, these things are probably supposed to be more impressive ... like, hey, I met Mother Teresa while feeding starving children in India ... great, now I'm depressed.

No more lists! Unless you guys want to do it, of course ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things I've done that you probably haven't:
1) Gained 3 dress sizes in 4 months, 1991-1992 (I quit smoking and started cooking)
2) ditto Gill's #2
3) ditto Gill's #3
4) Had a stroke at age 25 (fully recovered, thank you)
5) Lived in 2 different countries--and neither one was Canada
6) ditto Gill's #6 (not at all sure, however, that the Cars were involved in this one--tho' Joe Jackson was, right?)
7) Lived in 8 different cities (Genesee, Clio, Flint, Eccleston, Pontiac, Boston, Malden, Gloucester) in 12 different abodes
8) Got a degree from Harvard (even if it WAS just the Extension School)
9) Met my children for the first time when they were 9 (Liz) and 11 (Mike)
10) In my 40s, got certification as a keel-boat sailor

Gillian Swart said...

#6 was it Joe Jackson, Eurhythmics and ... who? ... I have ticket stubs somewhere!

#9 it's hard to believe they haven't always been with us ... in fact, last night I was thinking, "How did Mike turn out so photogenic?" lol

You forgot the mention the famous "Bugles Letter." Of course, you didn't actually write the letter ... speaking of which, I wonder what's become of Al?