Monday, January 26, 2009

Comprehending female desire

I seem to be on a theme here today!

I tried to read this whole story, from the NY Times Magazine, entitled "What Do Women Want?" and written by Daniel Bergner, who has written a book about lust and desire. It's pretty long, though, and I've still got my stories to write (two down so far, though).

The piece chronicles the work of Meredith Chivers, a scientist studying and/or teaching sexual research in Canada.

This is part of the next-to-last paragraph, which I did read:


There was the implication, in her words, that she might never illuminate her subject because she could not even see it, that the data she and her colleagues collect might be deceptive, might represent only the creations of culture, and that her interpretations might be leading away from underlying truth. There was the intimation that, at its core, women’s sexuality might not be passive at all. There was the chance that the long history of fear might have buried the nature of women’s lust too deeply to unearth, to view.
Tell that to Lady Caroline Lamb, I thought - but then, she's dead. So are all those other lustful ladies of historical notoriety I could mention here (and even more modern 'examples' of 'bad behavior,' who I won't mention at all). But I guess we know so much about them because they were lustful. Those hussies.

I think this, and the stories about Facebook and showing nipples, and the one about women being comfortable with their bodies all relate to the same thing.

What that same thing might be I have no clue. Ha! I got you ...

I think the words "hussy," "hysterical" and "Jezebel," among others more crude, might have something to do with it. But I'm no scientist; what do I know about what women want?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest blogger Gillian,

I too have no idea about what women want, but it is apparent that it is something that I currently do not possess!!!

One would think that my fine automobile, silk shirts and readily-available cash would impress them as would the owning of an apartment building and a job. Yet all I find is the hussies and Godless women who only want to bare their bodies shamefully. Surely I am damned.

- Mahatma Kote

Anonymous said...

Mahatma!

You fool! Just turn out the lights and you will find their bare bodies so much less shameful!

Trust me. It works.

Mahatma Gaalashas

Gillian Swart said...

Great. Thanks, guys.

Anonymous said...

We are but your humble love-slaves.

M&M, LLC

Gillian Swart said...

I repeat: Great (only with a tad more enthusiasm this time)!