Saturday, January 24, 2009

My disenchantment with 'social media'

I guess I kind of agree with this post on Fanboy.com - which was pointed out to me (and a few thousand, million, whatever others) on Twitter by none other than Ari Herzog.

Nearly a day goes by on Twitter without yet another social media “expert” choosing to stalk me. At first it started innocently — back in the day (about a year ago) various techie friends started to declare themselves social media gurus because they decided to hang out on Twitter and Facebook all day.


So here's some guy complaining about people doing what people do on 'social media' sites that are prime areas for this type of behavior. If that makes any sense.

Get over it, dude.

I signed up for Twitter. I gave it a shot, I let it go (even forgot my password), then I went back. Now I'm gone again.

Still don't see any benefit to it for me. I'm not selling or promoting anything and no one ever, ever responds to anything I say on there.

So what's the point?

There is no point.

I can kind of handle Facebook because at least most of the comments are by people I know. But I also feel disconnected there.

What's funny to me is that my cousin, who hasn't written to me in years, actually wrote something on my Facebook. Just as if we have been in constant contact in the year+ since I last set eyes on him.

And I don't know who to 'befriend' on Facebook. Why isn't this person who's someone else's 'friend' trying to friend me? Should I contact him or her? Will I be hurt if they don't respond? Why is my best friend from my teen years not responding to my friend request?

Why? What? Who? Who are my friends?

I like it here. People comment; people write me private emails every so often and recently I actually met someone who used to comment a lot on here (with a pseudonym) but who doesn't anymore. It was kind of fun and we laughed without actually outright acknowledging the connection.

Are you my friend?

See? It's just all too confusing!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If nobody commented on your blog, would you still write?

Perhaps your disenchantment stems from your treatment of Twitter.

- Some people use it as a micro
blog.

- Others use it to ask questions and reply to people. The way to reply to people is by clicking the reply button or prefacing a tweet with an @ sign. Nine times out of then, someone responds. Over time, Twitter friendships are formed.

Maybe it's not for you. But it goes back to your blog. If nobody commented, would you still write? After all, both blog posts and Twitter posts (and comments and replies on both) are indexed by search engines. So if nobody responds now, maybe they will later. And if you're not there, how will you know?

Gillian Swart said...

I don't know, Ari, but probably. Lately a few people have told me they read my blog but never comment. When it comes right down to it, there are only a few "regulars" who comment (and I appreciate each one of you).

Anonymous said...

Hey Gillian. I know what you mean about about feeling stalked. Seven personal messages on Twitter today, in less than an hour, with offers to check out their money-making or SEO plans!

I have hit some other great connections though. Guy Kawasaki's blog is a great resource, as are others. I'm only three days into my Twitter journey yet, but even with the distractions, I think it still has great potential!

Anonymous said...

I've run statistics and out of approximately 5,000 weekly visitors to my blog, about two to seven percent add a comment.

I'm cool with that, though.

Anonymous said...

hi,

"back in the day (about a year ago)"

i love that.

ah, i do remember back when the "liberal arts majors" found out about BitNet. Next thing you know a bunch of people found out what a VT100 was.

These days no one knows what a real geek is. But let me tell you they didn't chat...

and Fanboy was one of them (but for anyone who knows, Star Blazers is the greatest ever. I want a Wave Motion gun on my ISD.)

There is a great group on Facebook right now. Those of us from Inn Street.

Its a great example of what it can be for our generation. Pictures from years ago and connections to people I don't even really remember, now i get to see their kids.

Twitter annoys me. But so did IRC, netchat, and VMS Phone. since i find what I want. I also don't answer my phone but will check voicemail right after you call and then call you back if I want.

When i look at all these newbies i do always try to remember what the old S/360 people thought of me in 1983.

thanks,
sds

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks Ari, Lorne and sds. I think you guys are way more into this than I will ever be.

For example, I haven't a clue what ISD or S/360 are/were ...

Gillian Swart said...

"I also don't answer my phone but will check voicemail right after you call and then call you back if I want."

sds, don't you have caller ID? Remind me never to call you ... I'd be shattered if you didn't call me back!