Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Are we all ready for digital?

This is very disheartening:

The effort to delay next month's scheduled death of analog television suffered a setback in Congress on Wednesday, despite warnings that millions of American homes will not be able to see broadcast shows in three weeks.

The bill, which passed the Senate unanimously Monday, failed to get the necessary two-thirds vote in the House on Wednesday afternoon. (CNN)
I know analog is dead, but how many people cannot afford this?

The transition to digital-only broadcasts has been set for nearly a decade, but 6.5 million households, mostly lower-income, have not bought the newer digital TVs or converters for their old sets, according to a study by the Nielsen Company.
That many, would be my guess.

The piece says that at least $200 million has been spent on telling people about the change, which is scheduled for Feb. 17.

After reading this, I agree with the person who said that the country is nowhere ready for this change. Especially after reading that digital signals don't even reach some communities.

What idiocy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't understand how this is still a problem. I don't watch TV (unless there's a round ball being kicked about), but I understand there have been ads on for many moons about this change. I have read a number of articles in various publications about it. What else would you suggest they do? 6 million out of 300 million is 2 percent. If they don't get TV on Feb 17th, they'll finally find out they need the box, and they'll go get one. What's the problem? No one will starve or freeze to death, they'll just have to go a couple of days without Oprah. My heart does not bleed.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to remind you that the government attempted to give everyone a coupon for $40 off the price of the converter box. I got at least a couple of mailings about it. Radio Shack is selling the boxes for $55, and I'll bet places like WalMart, BJs, etc. are selling them even cheaper.

Gillian Swart said...

But ... but Dick, there are places that don't have digital ... I think my sister/brother-in-law in Gloucester said they don't have digital wires or lines or whatever so they had to get Direct TV to go with their giant flat panel TV (very good for watching the Patriots).

And the government ran out of the coupons ...

Some old and/or people rely on their TV for 'company.' I know I do ...

Someone must have thought it was worthwhile to delay it, or it wouldn't be in Congress. Wasn't that someone Pres. Obama?

(I love typing "Pres. Obama!")

Anonymous said...

It's not digital that we lack, it's fiber optic.

Anonymous said...

Rabbit ears get reprieve

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/04/digital.tv.delay.vote/index.html