Thursday, January 29, 2009

Facebook

I read with interest this post on Ari Herzog's blog. He's talking about sextogenarian women using Facebook, but as I comment on the post, my 78 y.o. mother has a Facebook.

I don't know how much she uses it, if at all. Unless she addresses me via the site, I'm trying not to pry! (Unlike my other Facebook 'friends,' who I stalk daily ... oh, I'm kidding.)

But I noticed within the last two weeks that my aunt (my mother's sister-in-law in England) is on there now - much to the surprise of one of her grandchildren. Sort of like how my nephew reacted when he saw his mother and grandmother had Facebooks.

He later told me it was unusual to see "old people" on Facebook. heh

I still have reservations, though, and they are of my own making.

My neighbor, who is the complete opposite of me, a few weeks ago demanded that I pull up her ex-boyfriend's Facebook so she could see what he was up to. He had deleted her as a friend.

At the time, I thought it was a violation of his privacy (she whined in response, "But we're friends!" - meaning she and I), and for my collusion (as unwillingly as it was given) he deleted me from his Facebook as well.

I can only assume she told him that I was an accomplice. Some friend. heh

I regret letting her use me that way and my weakness (man, she ripped my laptop literally off my lap because she felt I wasn't relaying to her the entirety of what I was seeing).

It goes without saying that I won't let anything like that happen again. mea culpa

No comments: