Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Snovel show

Ah, remember those days when neighborhood kids went around with snow shovels and would shovel you out for a small fee?

I do, since the neighbor kid and his friend used to shovel me out ... now he's 17 and delivers pizzas (makes a lot of dough at it, I heard from his mother....).

This is from yesterday's Daily News:


The city reminds residents that there is a law requiring homeowners to shovel the sidewalks in front of their homes. Failure to do so can result in fines.

Recycling Coordinator Molly Ettenborough said last week that the health department has issued 30 to 40 warnings so far this winter, but no fines yet. Next time, she said, they will issue the $50 fine.

Seniors are encouraged to call the Council on Aging at 978-462-8650 for a list of residents who will help shovel for a small fee.
I wonder ... is Dick M on this list? Or is he still holding out for the 25%? And why do the seniors have a pay "a small fee?" And why is the recycling coordinator in charge of residential sidewalk snow removal?

This sort of reminds me of the A-frame signs debacle (I think the City Clerk is in charge of that). People aren't going to follow the law if you aren't going to enforce it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be clear. I am not offering to do any shoveling. I am offering to write tickets for unshoveled sidewalks in return for 25% of the City's take. :-)

Gillian Swart said...

Ohhhh, my mistake! I haven't been thinking clearly lately!

Good plan.