Tuesday, January 27, 2009

No more bills by snail mail?

In response to Ari Herzog and his latest blog post about the city emailing bills to residents (and saving $32,000/yr.), I say:

I tend to forget to pay my bills and I lose the envelopes in the general mess of paper that is the area around my couch (I don't have an office).

I'm not sure if getting bills on email would help with this problem, but I do shudder at the number of envelopes I get each day (I shred bills after I finally pay them) and the amount of paper in those City Council agendae (agendi?), which has nothing to do with mail or envelopes.

But then - all the random envelopes may be needed soon to provide heat as I burn them.

Ari, I don't think this is going to happen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all for e-mailing the bills. I opt out of paper bills if I can, because -- like you -- paper bills become a huge pile on our counter, and I lose track of them.

Within my e-mail, things stay neatly organized and I'm in it all day long, so...just an easier way to keep on top of them.

It would be nice if we at least had a choice.

Gillian Swart said...

A choice would be good. For example, I've got a water bill here ... and even though I can pay it on line (and I've been to City Hall 3 times since I received it), I still have not paid it. If I got email reminders, I probably would remember!

Anonymous said...

Originally, agenda was the plural of agendum. An agendum was a single item on the list, so the agenda were the items that made up the list. However, since no one studies Latin any more, agenda has become a singular word representing the list, with agendas as its plural.

English is verrrry interesting, no?