Thursday, January 22, 2009

Boston uber alles

There's something particularly heady about being in a crowded basement room with a bunch of writers, editors and people who may or may not want to hire same.

Snitching French fries off some kid who doesn't look old enough to be in a bar, trying to get the attention of a guy from Boston magazine ... living (sort of) large in a Boston nightspot.

As a networking event, the first Boston networking party of the year put on by the website MediaBistro.com got off to a rocky start. The basement room was populated not only with MediaBistro members but regular old bar patrons. It was packed. It was loud. It was Boston.

woo-hoo

Sometimes I miss Boston so much it almost hurts. Watching people walking home from work down Summer St. when we first arrived, I said, "That would have been me, a few years ago ..."

It's not the same as it was, now that the Big Dig is done, and I have to admit I held my breath for a bit as we went through the underground portions - but it was Boston in all its grimy glory.

I had a couple of drinks, met some people and got to know the people I went there with a little better. Thanks, friends from the Newburyport Writers & Journalists group.

I'm glad to be back on Plum Island - but I wish I visited Boston more often.

No comments: