Thursday, January 22, 2009

My feathered friends

I don't mean to harp on about recycling Christmas trees for the benefit of birds ... actually, yes I do.

Here are 2 ex-Christmas trees - one I purloined from the side of the street and the other was my mother's Christmas tree.

A little bit ago, there were at least 3 birds in the large tree. They fled when I opened the window to take the photo. You see, usually they get to hang out in a thick stand of scrub trees and beach plum.

One of the first things I noticed about this place before I rented it was the couple dozen birds twittering outside the living room and bedroom windows. Then, of course, the first time the male cardinal woke me up at dawn with his damn twittering ... well, I'm used to it now.

Having a dense tree there keeps them out of the wind and safe from predators. That would in most cases be my cat.

When the needles fall off (it takes longer than you would think), I put the trees in a loose pile. A lot of birds hang out in there, too.

Thus ends today's public service announcement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom and stepfather do this, too. Their backyard is like a flippin' bird sanctuary. They love it!