Wednesday, September 3, 2008

You may be right - he may be crazy

Like Tom Salemi, I am a bit surprised at the amount and intensity of "McCavitt" hate being demonstrated by some of our populace.

I guess my perspective is skewed, owing to having covered Amesbury's previous Municipal Council. Some of them make Ward 1 City Councillor Larry McCavitt look like an adult version of Harry Potter.

Which, come to think of it, is not a bad comparison.

Remember how, in all the Harry Potter books except maybe the last, no one would believe him that Valdemort was still alive and plotting a comeback? His fellows turned their back on him, called him names, etc., etc.

As someone said to me today, what she loves about Newburyport is that everybody she meets loves living here.

I think that McCavitt loves living here, he loves the state regulations governing public waterways, and he sees it as his mission to preserve and protect said regulations.

So he's a little wacky and a lot opinionated. I didn't see anyone running against him in the last election.

Amesbury residents in the ward represented by a certain ex-Municipal Councilor got a recall vote - and it failed. I think it emboldened her even more.

Honest to gods, I covered a number of Municipal Council meetings for the Amesbury News, and this woman actually once got right up in my face. She was trying to intimidate me. I just looked at her for a few seconds, said nothing, and turned away to continue the conversation I had been having with someone else, before she interrupted.

Then again, all these people may be right.

The "Duke of Lemonade." hee hee, that's funny. (Disclaimer: I live in Ward 1)

No comments: