Friday, September 5, 2008

McCain's low voltage speech

I once went to a wedding where the groom remarked, "It's really bad when the bridesmaid looks better than the bride." He said it to the bride.

Needless to say, that marriage did not last long. If I had been the bride, I would have walked as soon as the words left his mouth.

So I'm not sure comparing John McCain's lackluster speech last night to the vitriol-filled one delivered the night before by his choice for vice president would be fair (especially since I've only seen excerpts from hers). I guess it depends if you prefer what I guess was speaking from a position of unity or what was spewed in order to divide.

I can't analyze the motives here (I would say "if there were any," but I have no doubt there were).

I just think McCain did not come off well, and some part of me feels bad about it. I think that somewhere, back in the days before he was trashed into near-oblivion by the Bush machine, he might have made a decent, if not great, president.

And I kept being distracted by all the makeup. It made him look like a plastic model of himself, and it was too yellow, or something.

Remember when Ross Perot had that poor old military guy on his ticket? This wasn't as bad as that, but it's trending in that direction. I would say he should have picked someone who looked older than does he, but that would have been a disaster.

On the other hand, Bush was elected based on his alleged down-home charm and bumbling banter (he's rich, did you know?).

I can't believe how much people hate well-spoken, educated people. I blame "Forrest Gump" for that. Yeah, a movie made it popular to hate intellectuals.

I suspect that McCain is an "I-word."

'Nuf said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think public acceptance for the hatred of intellectuals pre-dates Forrest Gump. It's also the cornerstone of any totalitarian regime (Stalin, Hitler, Bush).

Gillian Swart said...

Bubba z., thank you! Wasn't Galileo imprisoned for being too smart? Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!... oh, jeepers, I must go to bed. Getting punchy ...