Saturday, September 19, 2009

Latest parking study

Today I came across this interesting post on the P. Preservationist blog.

Of course I wrote about the parking meeting for the Current but I did not get a chance to comment on here. It's been a hell of a week and frankly, I'm exhausted.

I agree totally with the Preservationist, except that I was surprised that at the very least Jim Roy did not JUMP all over the fact that the city may hand Mr. Karp a parking garage that would be paid for with public funds.

Just what I want - my tax dollars going to support a billionaire's business venture that I don't want to happen.

Of course our planning director Sean Sullivan told me that it wasn't giving New England Development anything because NED would be giving the land (they would be required to provie parking anyway, but not necessarily for the public - although NED would make more $ if it was open to the public).

Would this solve NED's problem of not having access to those 8 acres on Waterfront West? Would our tax dollars pay for that as well?

I have to say, though, that if this garage thing goes through, that would be the only place identified that I think it should go.

What a dilemma for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree. nbpt has no need for a parking garage, and building one benefits Karp. if he needs one, let him build it on his own property.

Anonymous said...

Here's a question for the ballot for Newburyport voters:

Do you want Newburyport to scrap the parking garage, nix the park plans for the waterfrom and dissolve the NRA?

No one has ever surveyed us with those questions. Let's vote on it.