Friday, February 5, 2010

And speaking of complaints ...

Just a little bit ago someone I was talking to on the phone sort of complained that I haven't been posting much on here.

I've been terribly busy, both with Newburyport Biz and all of life's dramas. I really should write a book.

So yesterday, I went down to Gloucester, as I am inclined to do on a Thursday morning, to visit with my mom. Upon my return to our glorious city, I ran a few errands and then had to go to The Tannery. I turned down Federal St. off High St. and heard the distinct sound of something under the car breaking and the really obvious sound signifying that "OMG something is wrong with the muffler AGAIN."

Thus continued a saga that began some 6 months ago when the thing nearly fell right off the car; and part 2 was about 2 weeks ago when it happened again, only for a different (and much less expensive) reason.

After fleeing (noisily) to my home, I sat down with my laptop. Oh dear, the screen had gone all black and nothing I did brought it out of whatever mode it was in (I thought I had turned off the annoying "sleep" mode).

Well damn if the thing would not re-boot. It just kept turning itself on and off, on and off, from about 3:30 p.m. to midnight, when I went to bed. I saw my life (as represented by the content of this hard drive) swirling down the toilet.

All my photos! The spreadsheet I use instead of a check register! All my stories! Civ 4! I had not done a backup in months.

This morning, after a pretty much sleepless night during I debated just how much my life would be over if I lost my Internet access, and after a few feeble attempts to re-boot, it came back. But it's acting pretty strange.

So I'm hoping one of you genius computer people out there can tell me what's going on. And please don't say anything dire - I just couldn't take it right now.

I think I just painted myself into a corner.

4 comments:

HB said...

According to the resident computer guru in my house:
"Sounds like a boot sector Virus... but need to know what kind of laptop, make model.... what's the OS, was any new software added, or did the user download something from and email or the web."
That's for a start...If you need more info/help--let me know and I will pass it on and see what he says.

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, HB. I got 3 responses to my post (2 privately) and the common theme is boot sector virus. A power supply problem has also been suggested, which actually makes sense since the first time it happened, I unplugged the power and when I plugged it back in, it booted.

It's a Compaq Presario F730US notebook. No new software, but I do download files from emails (Firefox scans them for viruses, tho).

Madam Hooper said...

Cannot blame Mercury (still being) retrograde, since the planet was released by Thurs, 2/4/10.

And yet this excerpt from http://www.astrologycom.com/mercret.html gives one pause/cause about all those missives that went missing during Christmastide.

So the Knowing Ones might then ask the good question: Does this now solve the mystery (and absolve the Comcast server[s])?

"[...]At 02:39 UT (Universal Time) Saturday, December 26th, 2009, Mercury the wise communicator and universal trickster turns retrograde at 21°46' Capricorn, in the sign of the Sea-Goat, sending communications, travel, appointments, mail and the www into a general snarlup! The retro period begins some days before the actual turning point (as Mercury slows) and lasts for three weeks or so, until Jan. 15, 2010, when the Winged Messenger
reaches his direct station. At this time he halts and begins his return to direct motion through the zodiac.

Everything finally straightens out on February 4, as he passes the point where he first turned retrograde. [...]"

HB said...

Well--sounds like you figured things out. Back up! If you still have problems--I'll see if my resident expert can lend a hand.