Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Town approves taking

Voters in Newbury tonight approved the taking by eminent domain of "portions of properties" situated at 58 and 60 Northern Blvd., for purposes of the easements required by the Army Corps of Engineers and state DCR.

Voters also overwhelming approved an amendment to the article authorizing the town to take the easements over the properties that gives the property owners no award for damages.

And that's all she wrote. (I hope the drama is finally over.)

2 comments:

Bubba said...

Gillian,

Nice work in The Current !
I'm a little disappointed that they didn't let Florio speak. I understand the concept of one person one vote, but I think even misguided taxpayers should have their say.

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, Bubba. I strive to report only what happened. It was a nice moment, and it was by pure luck that Susan sat down next to me (before we were kicked out to make room for the actual voters).