Monday, January 4, 2010

I didn't like "The Secret History," either

Oh man, I hate books that grab you with a concept and then they just kind of end. Take this book I got for Christmas, "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt.

First of all, I'm not entirely sure to what the title refers.

Second of all ... I hate books that just end with no resolution. 624 pages of yet another kid losing people s/he loves and ... what? At least Frodo dumped the ring in the fire, Luke Skywalker defeated the Evil Empire and Harry Potter (the pale clone of the first two) defeated the evil wizard.

I also hated that I wanted to take the main character and shoo her off to bed without dinner for about a week (oh, wait, that's what her mother does) and then she would be grounded ... forever.

And why the heck is there a testimonial in there from the "Financial Times?" Hmmmm ... book reviews on NBPT Biz?

No comments: