Saturday, November 21, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving: message from Jeff Krumrine (edited)

Dear Friends,

Sending [an] Thanksgiving email has become an annual event now ...

This year I continue the tradition of volunteering on Thanksgiving Day that I began in 2005 at a church on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., that served a truly homeless population. My first year I worked security instead of as a food server (because of my size not temperament).

This year, like last year, I will be working at the Immaculate Conception Church here in Newburyport. They will be offering a Thanksgiving meal to anyone in the community from 11:00 AM – 2:00PM as well as delivering meals to those that cannot leave their homes.

Please let anyone you know that may be alone this Thanksgiving that they are welcome to attend. Or, have them call Kathy Heywood at (978) 463-3746 and they can request a meal be delivered to them (In Newburyport only, unfortunately!).

The people I will serve this Thanksgiving will undoubtedly be much different than the folks in Washington, D.C., but I believe that kindness and caring are not dependent on financial need. Like many of you, I have much to be grateful for and I need to be reminded of that on occasion. So I take this day to be thankful through kindness.

My wish for you on Thanksgiving is that you are able to take a moment to celebrate the abundance of food on your table, the family and friends that join with you and the safety and comfort of the home where you gather.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeff Krumrine

Newburyport, MA

Thanks to Jeff, Kathy and everyone involved for their giving spirit. I did this one year in Boston - there were hundreds of others also giving their time on a holiday - and it was really gratifying.

No comments: