Friday, May 15, 2009

The bunnies are innocent

I apologize to the Newbury bunnies that I yesterday blamed for eating our lettuce plants at the Eden Collaborative Gardens behind the First Parish Church.

Rita at the Herb Farmacy informed Elizabeth and me that the most likely culprit was cutworms - and damn if we didn't find them in our little garden plot, just like she said we would.

They eat young plants with small stems.

Luckily, some of the plants are re-sprouting. Of course, we only discovered this after we had bought even more lettuce plants.

We put cuffs around the new plants - you know what came in handy? Those cardboard cup holders they give you now with hot coffee. I had been saving them because I knew someday they'd be useful for something.

If you love salads, check back with me in a couple of weeks. I'll be up to my elbows in lettuce.

I really have to stop laying blame before I have all the factoids.

4 comments:

Tom Salemi said...

Uh boy...I wish you had told me before I took justice into my own hands.

Gillian Swart said...

Rabbit stew?

Tom Salemi said...

Let's just say you won't be hearing from them no more.

Elmer Fudd said...

Wabbits are delicious!