Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Poor beach

Last weekend I ran into someone who was lamenting the lack of local blogging going on recently.

So instead of just saying, "Gee whiz, Ed, just write some more!" I thought I maybe should step up my postings. A return to my former glory days of insults and innuendo ... or not.

All I'll say for now is, way back in my personal time machine, I arranged the purchase of sandbags for erosion control for ... well, a company I worked for. Apparently someone has come to the same decision we came to 7 or 8 years ago, about another shoreline far, far away.

From the Daily News:

A five-member crew started site preparation work yesterday afternoon for a long-awaited beach renourishment project at Plum Island Center.

Netco, a Lexington-based erosion control company, will place a network of large, fabric sandbags on the badly deteriorated shoreline from the Center northward for about 500 feet.


If I have the inclination today, I'll hobble on down there to sneak a peek.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

took a trip down to the island the other day to see how the new work will help, and couldn't help but notice that the Netco crew seemed to have some, how shall we say, questionable immigration status. While hiring illegal aliens to work for your company is illegal, i wonder what the consequences of having said company preform work on a government contract would be? Seems like just the type of story a hard hitting journalist might want to look into...

Gillian Swart said...

OK, X, how do you know this? Did you check their birth certificates? Unless you have certain knowledge of illegality, no reporter is going to run around accusing people of being - or of hiring - illegal aliens. I believe that's called "harassment," among other things.

Anonymous said...

i believe its called investigative journalism. Or you can stick your head in the sand, which is frankly what i expected.

Gillian Swart said...

And I should investigate based on what - your saying that they looked like illegal aliens to you? If you've got something other than what people looked like, share it. Otherwise, well ...

Anonymous said...

you know what, why don't i just do all the work, write the story, and give you credit? Perhaps the News will look into it, as I'm sure they're interested in a scoop, and you can remain politically correct.

Gillian Swart said...

Sounds like a plan, X. Do let me know how it goes.