Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Slim Chiply lives

This is - or was - Slim Chiply (the guy you see on the Paramount Potato Chips bright red pack). I don't expect you guys to understand the significance of Slim Chiply, or Paramount Potato Chips. I think they - and Slim - are long gone.

He is - or was - not just a potato chip; he is - or was - the Flavor Deputy (protecting crispness in every pack).

In the TV commercial, Slim would walk out with this odd bow-legged stride (how else would a potato chip walk?) and sing this song:

I'm Slim Chiply, the guy you see,
on the Paramount Potato Chips bright red pack.
I'm the flavor deputy,
protecting crispness in every pack.
They're delicious, and so nutritious,
yes sir'ee, they're pips!
Paramount Potato chips!!

It's a Flint thing ... just go with it.

Slim Chiply merchandise is now available online, here and here. If nothing else, it's good for a laugh ... where else are you going to see a potato chip dressed like a lawman?

(Thanks to Gordie Young of Flint Expatriates for the heads up.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To tell you the truth, I thought it was Planters' Mr. Peanut.

Did every town have a guy dressed as Mr.Peanut wandering around in front of the local nut/candy store back in the 50s? Lowell & Boston did.

Gillian Swart said...

Hmmmm ... I don't recall any Mr. Peanuts (but I didn't live in the US in the 50s).