Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Just stick with diamonds

I was today lunching with a friend, and I mentioned that I have these pearl earrings that I never wear.

Why not? she asked.

Well, they came with a whole instruction manual about what not to do with one's pearls. It was scary.

I don't know where the manual is, so I got the following from Pearl-Guide.com:

Because pearls are an organic gemstone, they are somewhat different from other gemstones and precious metals. They are softer and more delicate, and they can therefore be more easily scratched, cracked, and damaged. In addition, substances such as perfume and hair spray -- and even natural body oils and perspiration -- can dull pearls' luster or cloud their brilliance. For these reasons, your pearls may require a bit of special care.
Good grief.

My friend suggested that we stick with diamonds. You don't have to wipe off body oils, wrap them in a soft cloth, etc. They are indestructible, don't ya know?

The earrings are nice to look at every so often. I've worn them, I think, twice.

There comes a time when our possessions possess us, my friend concluded. Amen to that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diamonds have scary pasts. I have many pearls, and I do not take any special care of them. I wear them when I feel like it. I just got a lovely pair of sterling + freshwater pearl earrings for my anniversary, and I wore them to work with jeans and a hoodie. Also, I have had a jade ring on my left hand for a dozen years. You're supposed to take abundant special precautions with jade. I never have. It might fall out some night, but I got a lovely dozen years out of it. Be free!