Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rules is rules

The City Council last night once again suspended its own rules and allowed another mayoral appointment to go through with only one reading.

So far since I started paying close attention again, they have done this at least 3 times: with the new Planning Director, with some other appointment that I can't recall off the top of my head and now with last night's Erford Fowler's appointment to the Board of Water Commissioners.

I understand the board has been operating without a quorum since losing two members, and the mayor can't find qualified people to fill the vacancies.

I don't know if it's a good thing that former Ward 4 Councillor Fowler is stepping up to the plate, or if it's a not-so-good thing. I don't know Fowler that well, except I know he was always on the side of the older population in the city.

Speaking of which - the last time I attended a water board meeting (last month), George Lawler was openly sympathetic to one Mr. Robert Finneran, the guy who bought the former Mike's Sub Shop building and who wants to turn it into - a sub shop.

Well, he also wants to add a second floor, for office space.

The problem is, his family trust has not hooked into the PI water/sewer system and DPS will not approve his building permit ... well, the building permit is being sought by an entity of which Finneran is the sole officer.

It's a city law (Is an Executive Order a law?) that if you owe the city any outstanding fees on one property, the city shall not issue a permit for another property owned by the same person.

The issue now is whether Finneran's interests in the entity First Ocean and Realty Corp. and his interests in the family trust (including that he lives in the house in question) make him an owner of both properties.

Which reminds me, I have to pay my water/sewer bill! Yikes!

Au revoir, gophers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erford was the Ward 4 Councillor, the seat now held by Ed Cameron.
James Shanley

Gillian Swart said...

Oops, James, sorry. That was a typo; I do know that you, in fact, are the Ward 3 councillor ... thanks for letting me know!

Tom Salemi said...

I think the third time was the new treasurer.

Anonymous said...

I have free time on my hands and an interest in civic affairs, but I was never asked to serve on the water board. Nor did I come across any announcement. Maybe it was published in a place I'd never look.

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, Tom; I do believe you're right.

And Ari - what can I say?

Tom Salemi said...

Ari had a point.

Gillian Swart said...

Tom,

Yes, he did ... I wasn't blowing him off ... I really meant, what can I say - as in, besides what he said? (I'm planning to write something about this at some point.)

ECC said...

Gillian,

Re these three appointments, and speaking for myself, there were valid reasons to waive the rules and have those appointments approved in one meeting.

Re the City Planner: after much discussion, the Council moved the process along. The next Council meeting was, I believe, three weeks away and there were concerns that when we leave candidates hanging they sometimes take other job offers. There was a very thorough vetting process of the Planner including a public get together with Councillors.

Re: the new Treasurer, she had become very well known by the Council for her work as the Mayor's Assistant.

Re: former Councillor Fowler, he's very well known by the Councillors who served with him obviously. Erford also served on the Sewer Commission for a number of years. The Water Commission needed the vacancy filled because of quorum issues, so I was happy to support it.

Ed Cameron

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, Ed. I'm going to respond in a separate post.