Monday, April 20, 2009

Get your fresh turkey here (or not)

This story in the Daily News reminded me that my elderly neighbor the other day told me that a pair of wild turkeys were on a nest in the vacant lot that's practically across the street from here (there's a fenced-in yard in between).

He's always telling me that he sees turkeys (and cayotes) all over the place out here, but I've never seen - or heard - a turkey in the neighborhood. I do have a bird feeder, so you'd think a turkey in the immediate vicinity would at least wander over to investigate ...

I did see a cayote one night, but it was down by Angie's service station at the other end of Old Point Rd. Seems to me like the 2 sets of creatures would be incompatible in such a small area ...

Anyway, I do frequently see turkeys roaming around the airport, as it is noted in the DN piece that they do tend to cluster in that area.

The piece also reminded me that I've twice now seen crows harassing a hawk.

A couple of weeks ago on the PI Turnpike, there was a hawk sitting on the top of a lightstand and 2 crows were circling it and diving at it while cawing like maniacs.

Last week, when we were at the community gardens at the First Parish Church, a hawk flew overhead, followed closely by a crow that was diving at it ... I don't know if it was the same hawk (or for that matter the same crows - the first one was joined by a second) but my partner in gardening, Elizabeth, and I had a good laugh about the poor hawk and the daring of the crows.

In both cases, it was a relatively small hawk.

No comments: