Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Seventy-five cents?

I guess this reflects the state of the union:

Effective Monday, Sept. 8, the newsstand price of The Daily News will increase to 75 cents. The increase is due to higher costs for newsprint and transportation.

I was reading that older and/or retired people tend to read weekly community papers more than daily papers, in part because weekly papers are often free. They are usually also more comprehensive, by design.

This move by the Daily is not unusual. This from the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

The new buyout offer is the latest in a series of steps by the paper's management to reduce expenses and increase revenues. On Monday, the paper raised its newsstand price from 50 cents to 75 cents.

I'm willing to bet, though, that the Cleveland paper has much more actual content than does the Daily News.

Speaking of dailies, weeklies and content, I heard that my 'nemesis' at the Current, is or has been switched over to the CNC paper in No. Andover.

The new editor of the Current, I am told, is a woman with actual experience on a larger paper under her belt. Before becoming the editor of the Current, the departing one was editor of the Georgetown paper.

"I could do that with my eyes closed," she used to tell me.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's a weekly - it is a HUGE task for one person to get that paper out every week and maintain the website.

I still have a soft spot for the Current and it was sad for me to see it declining over the past few months - with the exception of a sprinkling of good stories by my pals Elizabeth Rose and Johannah Spero, of course.

Anyway, I was happy to hear that finally the powers that be recognized that they needed experience sitting in that chair.

I wish the new editor much success.

No comments: