Friday, July 18, 2008

Congratulations are in order

Tom Ryan sent out his first query emails to literary agents for his book proposal on Tuesday and this morning signed on with an agent in New York City!

"The only drawback is that she is…GASP!...a Yankees fan; but that is mitigated by her 28 year marriage to a Red Sox fan," Tom writes to his email group.

Now, I know what some of you are thinking (Ryan's former news journal/paper, the Undertoad, riled up more than a few people in town) - and I don't want to hear it, by the way - but if you read his blog, you will see that he is a great writer and can wring some tears out of you if you're not careful (especially when he's writing about his dog, Atticus, or his predecessors).

Speaking of Atticus, this agency he signed on with last year handled the best-selling "Mockingbird," a biography of Harper Lee, who wrote "To Kill a Mockingbird," the main character in that book being Atticus Finch ... but I'm sure you all knew that already!

I'm happy for Tom, but I'm also happy that there are still agents out there who recognize good writing. So much of what I read these days is drivel ... well, not so much since I started acting on recommendations rather than "winging it" or relying on best-seller lists.

But congratulations again, Tom!

No comments: